Tuesday 23 July 2013

The "I just finished my manuscript, what next?" Megathread project from /r/writing on reddit (Part 1)

Crosspost from www.reddit.com/r/writing

This has been a common topic lately. I have also just completed the first draft of a manuscript I intend to seek a publisher for. In the coming weeks, I'm going to have to make up my mind if I intend to take a standard publishing industry approach, or take a go online and in the self publishing realm.

I was thinking it might be helpful (to the community and myself) to expand this into a focused conversation on 'what to do next'. I do not claim to be an expert, but I have been practicing my craft for over 15 years, and have been carefully researching how I could eventually make the move from hobbyist to professional.

I'm in the process of creating a very large to do list, for both research and actual work that needs to be done. Since there are seemingly more than a few of us in the community who are at this point right now, perhaps we could try working on one together?

Tell us about what's on your to do list! I will keep a record of what we come up with on my blog.

I've broken mine down into categories to start:

Publishing industry research & work

1. Write draft query letter
2. Write draft back book cover
3. Write draft “what qualifies me to write this book”
4. Write draft “why will this book sell & what does this book compete with”
5. Find the names of 10 large agencies seeking submissions in my genre
6. Research each of the agencies
7. Find the contact information for 3 major publishers and 3 minor publishers
8. Research each of the publishers
9. Create list of all possible networking contacts in publishing field

Promotional work

1. Create Social media accounts, generate good & appropriate content for each platform: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, Tumblr
2. Create a blog on a topic of which you can speak well
3. Build social networking contacts


Self publishing research

1. Research kickstarter
2. Research indiegogo
3. Research costs of self publishing
4. Research self publishing on amazon
5. Research & price possible graphic designers
6. Research & price possible editors

Actual Manuscript work

1. Print off paper copy for initial editing
2. Mark where foreshadowing is required or can be placed
3. Mark where more description is required
4. Re-create character diagrams based on what the characters do and say in what you have written

Time Breakdown

1 hour each day on editing
1 hour each day on promoting social networking accounts or building contacts
1 hour each day creating content for social networking accounts
1 hour each day writing blog pieces

No comments:

Post a Comment